Jul 19 2018

Mariah Carey Breaks Down Her OTT Butterfly Returns Wardrobe With Her Fashion Glam Squad

Mariah Carey is back—and for her The Butterfly Returns residency at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, where she’s performing through September 10th, nothing short of a full-on diva wardrobe would do. “I wanted to wear ensembles that reminded me of Old Hollywood,” she says. “Plunging necklines, flowing fabrics, embellishments, and overall glamour. I was inspired by different textures such as beading and feathers.” To achieve her vision, Carey and stylist Nicolas Bru employed a trio of designers: Paul Surridge of Roberto Cavalli, Antoine Salameh of LaBourjoisie, and Julien Macdonald. “My goal was to style looks that had a certain wow factor,” Bru says. “And compliment Mariah’s incredible talent [of] singing and connecting with her audience.”

For Macdonald, it was a plum assignment. “Mariah is the epitome of feminine glamour,” says the Welsh designer. “She wanted extravagant lavishness with all the trimmings.” His fringe-hem minidress featured over 6,000 Swarovski crystals and took more than 200 hours to complete. “[It] was a Swarovski-on-Swarovski extravaganza,” he adds. 24 karat gold thread made the effect even more resplendent; Bru dubbed the ensemble “Metallic Goddess.”

The OTT factor was also present in Carey’s additional looks. Act two sees Carey don an iconic LBD—reworked by Surridge to include her signature sparkle. “I wanted to strip everything back and focus on Mariah’s iconic look over the years,” Bru says.

For a section that focuses on ballads, Carey wears a red dress by Salameh that evokes the winged creature of the residency’s title. “Mariah is so synonymous with the butterfly, it inspired us to reimagine its emergence through these ground-grazing sleeves that created a new element of drama,” the designer explains. Tonal crystals pepper the bodice for added sparkle, furthering the Old Hollywood vibe.

The final chapter of the concert sees Carey return onstage in another piece by Cavalli trimmed in plumes. Thousands of small marabou feathers and white ostrich feathers were employed to create a dégradé effect. “I wanted to turn up the drama,” Bru says. “When she walks back out, you can hear the audience gasp and cheer.” That was the result Surridge was hoping to achieve. “I grew up with Mariah’s voice; her hits were part of my teen-hood. I wanted a dress that equaled her unique talent and beautiful personality.”​

So what does the diva think of her creations? “I’m grateful to work with the designers who created some masterpieces for this show,” Carey says. “We have four very different yet exquisite ensembles. They really deserve to be seen in person.” Get your tickets while you can.

This article is tagged to: News, News, What's New

News Archive